Share

Bronx Personal Injury & Real Estate Blog

Monday, October 31, 2016

Tractor Trailer Accidents on the Rise

Q: Are the laws regarding tractor trailer accidents different from automobile accidents?

If you’ve ever driven in New York City and the Tri-State area, you’ve likely lived through the white-knuckle experience of sharing the poorly maintained, very congested roadways and bridges with big bulky tractor trailers. Who knows what these road- hogging, line-crossing big rigs are even hauling? It’s enough to make you trade in your car for a Metro card.

The latest available statistics show that tractor trailer accidents are up 17% nationwide, and it’s even worse in the Tri-State area due to the much higher percentage of freight being hauled here by tractor trailers instead of by rail. Whereas most cities get half of their freight by rail, the Tri-State area gets only 5% by rail, with the remaining 95% of freight coming via tractor trailers. It’s no wonder traffic, pollution, and accidents are on the rise and people are intimidated while driving beside the big rigs.

Trucking accidents are governed by stricter rules. In an effort to decrease these often catastrophic accidents, additional restrictions are placed on the tractor trailer drivers and the owner companies. Drivers must have special licenses and must not drive longer than established hourly driving limits. The trucks, which must undergo frequent inspections and maintenance, are also subject to limitations on size and weight and of the load they haul. Despite these regulations, tired truckers are pressured to meet tight deadlines often driving longer or faster than they should, putting them at risk for potentially deadly accidents.

Fortunately, technology is delivering good news to the roadways. In less than a year, all “heavy trucks” will be required to be equipped with Electronic Stability Control or ESC--technology that is capable of sensing and slowing down a truck that is turning at an excessive speed in an effort to reduce rollovers. Other safety features on the horizon for big rigs may include radar detection technology to reduce rear-end collisions.

Despite all this, innocent people are injured each day in truck accidents. They need an experienced personal injury attorney to maximize the compensation they can recover for damages including medical bills (including future medical costs), lost income, property damage, pain and suffering.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident or any kind of accident in New York due to the negligence of another, call the Law Offices of Ryan S. Goldstein at 718-239-0239 or contact us here for a free consultation.


Archived Posts

2017
2016
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January



© 2017 Law Office of Ryan S. Goldstein, P.L.L.C. | Disclaimer
43 Westchester Square, Suite 2A , Bronx, NY 10461
| Phone: (718) 239-0239

Practice Areas | Results | About Us

Law Firm Website Design by
Amicus Creative